The HMIS (Homeless Management Information System) is a database used to track data on the homeless in Ingham county. HMIS records basic data on clients and tracks the services that they receive. Our agencies utilize HMIS, which allows agencies to know clients better and how effective the programs are. The City of Lansing administers the HMIS database for the GLHRN.
As of October 2017, the new data collection forms below need to be used to conform to the 2017 update of the HUD HMIS data standards. There are specific forms for different program models.
- 2017 Coordinated Entry Screening Assessment (PDF)
- 2017 Universal Data Elements Form for shelter & outreach (PDF)
- 2017 Universal Data Elements Form for TH, PSH, RRH, & others (PDF)
- 2017 Intake Form for shelter & outreach (PDF)
- 2017 Intake Form for TH, PSH, RRH & others (PDF)
- 2017 Additional Case Management Assessment Form (PDF) – All Programs
- 2017 Interim Information Update Form (PDF) – All Programs
- 2017 Discharge/Exit Form (PDF) – All Programs
To protect the privacy of our clients, we must get consent from them in order to share their information through ServicePoint, which allows us to better coordinate their housing services. We use the GLHRN MSHMIS_2017_Release of Information form to document this consent, which gives GLHRN the ability to look at and share their information.
One advantage to HMIS is it allows agencies to refer clients to other service providers in easy and efficient ways. This gives our clients additional places to receive needed services, and also keeps track of how our agencies are coordinating.
HMIS groups client households, allowing families to be served together more effectively.
Another aspect HMIS can track is case management time. This allows us to know how much time we have spent helping any given client. There is also a case management report that allows agencies to quickly determine the number of case management hours they have on HMIS.
If you have questions about HMIS in Ingham County or are in need of assistance with HMIS, please contact Matt Stevenson (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the City of Lansing’s Human Relations & Community Services Department.